Sail 1 day a week for a whole quarter beginning in Feb, May, Aug, and Nov.
CLASS REGISTRATION (Current Class List)
SIGN THE WAIVER (1st time registrants)
KNOW YOUR SKILL LEVEL
KNOW THE RULES & EXPECTATIONS
Students can experience the thrill of sailing and the camaraderie of boating. From competitive racing to recreational fun, sailing classes are designed to meet the needs of beginner to advanced sailors. The sailing program is a co-ed program with options for all ages.
O'pen Skiff: (Single sail 9' dinghy)
The O'pen Skiff (Bic) sailing classes are designed to introduce young children ages 8 to 14 years old to skippering their own boat. Younger children may be considered for the program with a probationary period based on the maturity of the child. The classes are held on:
- Monday 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm: Levels 4+ O'pen Skiff and Laser. This class is for advanced sailors who are serious about improving their racing abilities using International Sailing Rules, boat handling, drills, and tactics. Coach approval is required to register for this class. No Laser charters or storage is available, and launching is available at the public ramp.
- Wednesday 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm: Levels 1-6. All abilities welcome. A fun introduction to boat handling and first exposure to the race format for ages 8+.
- Thursday 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm: Levels 1-6. All abilities welcome. A fun introduction to boat handling and first exposure to the race format for ages 8+
- Saturday 9:30 am - 11:30 am: Levels 1-6. The class is split into Levels 1-3, and Levels 3-6 so the more intermediate-advanced sailors can focus on improving solo skippering, learning the rules and tactics of racing, practicing starts, exploring freestyle, and going adventure sailing.
- Saturday 11:30 am - 1:30 pm: Levels 3-6. RS Feva and O'pen Skiff Team Racing. An exciting 3-per team, combined score, format that teaches the rules and tactics of sailing. A fun way to learn the rules!
RS Feva XL: (3-sail 12' skiff ideal for teens & adults)
The double-handed RS Feva is ideal for teens and adults with no sailing experience or are skilled sailors looking to improve their boat handling and race tactics.
- Monday 4:30 to 6:30 pm: Ages 18+ (or younger with approval). All levels welcome.
- Tuesday 4:30 to 6:30 pm: Ages 13+ (or younger with approval). All levels welcome.
- Wednesday 4:30 to 6:30 pm: Ages 13+ (or younger with approval). All levels welcome.
- Saturday 11:30 am - 1:30 pm: RS Feva and O'pen Skiff Team Racing: Levels 3-6. Ages 10+. An exciting 3 per team format that teaches the rules and tactics of sailing.
Techno 293: (Jr. Olympic one-design windsurfer)
The weekly class is perfect for all skill levels from pre-beginner to advanced. The Techno 293 one-design race board is used in competition across the globe. One windfoil is available to share with coach approval.
- Tuesday from 4:30 - 6:30 pm for ages 10+ and all skill levels.
- Saturday from 1:30 - 3:30 pm for ages 10+ and all skill levels.
Quarterly Sailing Periods
Weekly classes begin each quarter. Ideally, new students are taken at the beginning of each quarter. The quarters are:
Sign Up: Register for the class online. Class sizes are limited. Classes may be added if there is a demand, so please let an instructor know if you would like to be added to a wait list.
- Please Register Online.
- If you are registering for the first time, please complete the Assumption Of Risk, Waiver, and Release from Liability (pdf) form and submit to the sailing instructor on the first day of class.
Participants must be members of the Hawaii Kai Boat Club. Boat owners receive discounts on classes and may enjoy open sailing sessions with other boat owners. If you are interested in boat ownership, please speak to a sailing instructor.
One free trial session is available for new sailors who want to try a class prior to signing up for a quarter. Please schedule a trial session via email@example.com.
What to wear:
Life jackets are required to be worn while on the dock and while sailing.
Swimwear is required.
Optional gear includes: Reef walkers, gloves, helmets, and sunglasses.
A marine grade light is required if sailing after sunset.
Security for bags and belongings will not be provided.
Class Rules and Expectations:
- Sign-in and out. Log the club boat you are assigned.
- Students may sail once they are rigged, and are dismissed when their equipment is stored and secure.
- Late arrival (after 4:30pm) and/or early dismissal (before gear is put away) must have approval.
- Pushing, rough-housing, running on the docks, jumping off the marina wall, and wrestling are not allowed.
- Foul language is not allowed on or off the boats- EVER.
- Sailors must heed to all vessels using the channel in front of the docks. Sailors must tack away from and stay clear of an approaching vessel and its path.
If a sailor is asked to stop a behavior they will be asked to
1X = Take a breath… 2X = Take a 5 minute break… 3X = Take a seat- they are done for the day.
Ongoing issues with behavior will be addressed by the instructor and the parents will be notified. Exclusion from the remaining quarter may be necessary for the safety of all sailors.
- Equipment must be treated with respect and care.
- Students are expected to rig & de-rig their boats. Adults are asked to help where needed.
- Broken, missing, or worn equipment must be reported to the coach, and the equipment must be identified for repair.
- Basic Care: Rinse equipment, dry sails, rack and tie boats, cover dagger boards and rudders, secure the rudders in the up position, maintain the sail box in an orderly fashion with sail bag tags facing right, rudder and dagger board handles facing up, and PFD’s stowed. Tools must be returned to the toolbox and placed in the sail locker.
Sailors in the quarterly program who are level 3 and up are eligible to participate in monthly regattas featuring a mixture of conventional and un-regatta style sailing (freestyle moves, stand-up sailing, capsizes, 360's)!
Don't miss the fun! Sign up for monthly regattas!
RIG, SAIL, SWIM, SAIL, RACE, SWIM, SAIL, SINK-A-BOAT, SAIL, SIT-UPS, SWIM, PUSH-UPS, SAIL, RACE, SWIM, SQUATS, SAIL, RACE, FREESTYLE, SAIL, PIZZA, SWIM, SAIL, RACE, SAIL, SAIL, SAIL, HAVE FUN!